Monday, November 16, 2009

FIRE!!!

Yes, fire. Literally.

After church on Sunday (yes, Mike and I actually went to church), we came home and decided to make hash-browns. So, I put oil in the pan and turned the stove top on and we ran upstairs to change "real quick." (It was REAL QUICK. There for no hanky-panky of any kind, but thanks for thinking that, DAD.) All Mike did was take off his church pants and replace them with his jeans and then he went back downstairs. That's when I heard this:

"OH, S**T!!!" (Yes, Mike swore, but I believe the situation called for it.)

And then the smoke detectors started going off. At least we know they work now. And we know how much it would really suck to die of asphyxiation. Smoke inhalation really burns.

Yup.

We were very lucky. The only causality was the pan (which I loved and I'm really sad has passed on).

And I can't rave enough about those Magic Eraser things from Mr. Clean. The front of the microwave was BLACK and I scrubbed and scrubbed and just created a bigger, blacker mess until inspiration hit and I decided to try one of those Magic Erasers. WOW. Again, we were very lucky.

Luckily it was Mike who found the fire and not me. I'm sure I would have panicked and thrown water on it, whereas he had the good sense to smother it.

So, besides the pan and the house now smelling like burnt french fries, there was no damage.

But this incident does remind me of The Fire of 1990. Same sitatuation, different house. And way more (but not quite enough, if you ask my mom) damage:
My mom was trying to do a nice thing and make enchiladas for someone in the ward and she thought that she had turned the pan with oil on the stove off, but in actuality, she had turned it UP. We had metal cabinets and a gross kitchen counter at the time (both of which were probably full of the stuff that gives you cancer in the long run), which my mom hated. But, of course, after the fire, they were the only things still left standing.

Such is life.

The things you really hate never seem to go away, but the things you love are always the ones that are consumed by the fire. (NOTE: I said things, not people. Please don't take this that I only have people I hate surrounding me, SO not true.)

Does anyone know how to get burnt french fry smell out of a house?

In other news, the Utes lost to TCU on Saturday. But we knew this would happen. TCU is ranked #4 and the Utes are (or were, probably we dropped in the polls after our loss) #16. Final score was 28-55.

But we did better than BYU when they played TCU. I believe their final score was 47-7, or something like that. At least we made more than one touchdown.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad it wasn't more serious.
And it was a sad day for Utah but a good day for the BCS. Utah was bumped down to 21 but the best news... We're right above the lower ranked 22 BYU:) Even if just by 1!!!

Aim Aug said...

So glad you are okay and it wasn't worse. Invest in Frebreeze and wash your curtains and rugs. That's how we got the smell out when my mother in law destoyed our microwave by setting popcorn on fire. And no...they didn't pay for a new microwave. Love you.