Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Night "On the Line"

As most of you know, I spend a lot of my time in the fall months living, eating and breathing football. And as those of you who know me well can atest, this isn't something I do because I enjoy it, I do it because Mike loves football and I love Mike. So, I endure it happily just for him.

And last night was his turn to return the favor.

With tickets to Pioneer Theater Company's production of A Chorus Line.

And, oh how I loved it!

Of course, Mike tried his hardest to enjoy himself too, but he actually came down with a pretty bad head cold yesterday morning (my personal belief is that it was his sneaky plot to try to get out of going, and I tried to let him off the hook, but he still said he would go with me; he must really love me too), so he was pretty much miserable the entire time. And that had nothing to do with the fact that there were people occasionally breaking out into song and dance in front of him. But I'm sure it didn't help either.

Highlights from the show:
The set. For most of the show, it's just the bare stage with "the line" lit up in the front, but for some of it, there was a row of mirrors behind the actors when they danced, which was really incredible, creating the illusion that there were two sets of actors.

The audience laughing when Diana sang about how she felt "Nothing" when she found out Mr. Carp had died. I had never thought of that as a funny moment before. Hmmm.

Paul's monologe. 'Nuff said.

"What I Did for Love" is so beautiful to hear when it isn't being butchered.

And my very favorite moment:
Val's "Dance 10, Looks 3" number. Hilarious. Yes, it is a dirty song, but it was so fun and the actress who played Val did this number so well, most of the audience members were rolling in the aisles. I've always thought that if I was going to be in this show, I'd get cast as Val, just because I'm so . . . well, endowed, in the right places to portray someone who has had plastic surgery. (Fantasy confession: I've always wanted to be Diana, just so I could sing "Nothing," but looking the farthest thing from someone from San Juan, I'm fairly sure this would never happen.)

Disappointments:
Yes, there were a few and one major one.
The actress who played Cassie, who, from her biography, sounded like she would be just fabulous (and she knows it), couldn't sing. Not knowing her current situation (maybe she's infected with Mike's headcold), I was completely appalled at how bad her singing voice was. Again, maybe she had a cold or something. But she was awful. I mean, some of her notes were flatter than a pancake during "The Music and the Mirror." Yes, yes, I am more critical than some people, but still. It was pretty bad.

Some of the choreography I found rather strange. For example, again, in "The Music and the Mirror," Cassie kept doing backbends. But I'm a theater snob, so my opinion shouldn't always be trusted.

But, putting aside those few small things, all in all, I LOVED IT!!!
Most of all, I loved having an actual date night with my husband, even if he was sick.

I truly loved being "on the line!"

Ew. That was cheesy.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm SO glad you had a good time:) I was thinking about you all night wondering if it was everything you wanted it to be! And way to be an awesome Husband Mike!!!

Ryan W said...

I heard good reviews about the show but it is always nice to hear it straight from someone else who does theater.

Sweet J said...

Woot!!!! I wanted to see it so bad. I am glad you had a great time!!!