Monday, February 8, 2010

The Chicago Caper

Anyone out there watch "The Office?"
Before Christmas, there was an episode where Michael tried to lift the spirits of everyone in the office by pretending that they were in a murder mystery.
Which gave me an idea.
We should totally do that!
So, I got Sarah on board and we started to plan. Jill immediately said she and Durrant were in (even though Durrant was hesitant at first, Jill convinced him. Oh, the powers of wifely persuasion).
After researching the different games out there, I picked The Chicago Caper, because the characters (and costumes!) sounded like they would be the most fun for everyone.
It turned out the most difficult part was finding a 4th couple. (I know. You'd think the most difficult part would be convincing Mike to dress up and pretend to be someone else, but he said "yes" right away. Probably because I was so excited about it.) And after exhausting most of my resources and asking every couple I could think of (and if any of you who turned me down are reading this, all I can say is YOU TOTALLY MISSED OUT! So, I blow a raspberry in your general direction! I understand, some men are totally party-poopers. And if we ever do it again, I hope you'll want to take part next time, because we had so much fun!) my sister, Jen, found a date and became our couple #4.
Because I am my mother's daughter (see previous posts for confirmation of this fact), I researched everything I could about Speakeasy's, prohibition, and the 1920's. So, I set the house up like a Speakeasy. We put a curtain up and the guests had to use "the secret knock and password" to enter into the Speakeasy. I also found out that Chinese takeout became big in the '20's, so that took care of the menu.

And, my dad was nice enough to be our "Chinese" waiter, complete with the offensive accent. Like I said, I'm my mother's daughter, as evidenced by the table:
The Players:

Molly M. Awbsterr & Billy "The Kid" Thrower

(Jill & Durrant) Anna Maria Carlotta Sassine ("Torchy") & Ernie "Bet-A-Million" G. Ambler

(Sarah & Ryan) Malissa F. Orrthot ("Scoop") & S. Treighton Harrow

(Jen & Chase) "Silky" M. Adam & Eddie "Socks" R. Gyle

(Me & Mike) So, after the game it turned out the murderer was . . .

***SPOILER ALERT****

ME!

And I really didn't plan it that way.

PROMISE!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I knew it was you as soon as I saw that red dress. A total murderous babe ensemble.

Ryan W said...

it was fun

Sarah said...

I LOVED it and can't WAIT to do another one:)

Sarah said...

P.S. That dress is SO not flattering on me and does me NO justice:( I'm sure it doesn't do anyone justice. But thanks for letting me borrow it!