Monday, October 26, 2009

Go Yanks!

We're going to the World Series!


Yes, for the first time since 2003, my beloved Yankees have made it into the World Series.

I know it's hard for the 6 people who reads this blog to believe that we follow any sport other than football (and especially University of Utah football), but we do. Although some might protest that baseball shouldn't be the sport for me (baseball is 5% action and 95% patience), I still love it. Plus, it's also the only time I know that I could get Mike to wear blue (I know, you'd think that with such a die-hard Ute fan as a husband I would be shunned forever for rooting for a team whose colors are blue and white, but I'll slit my wrists before I root for a certain baseball team whose colors are red and white (Boston, BLECH!). I figure, different sports, different genres; that's why it works for us.)

So, the Yankees beat out the Angels in game 6 of the ALCS (that's American League Championship Series for those who don't speak baseball) last night, 5-2. Since we had family obligations (Happy Birthday, Aimee!) and such, we listened to some of the 2nd inning driving from Cedar Hills to West-West-West Jordan, until we got too West and then the radio stopped working (yes, Mike's sister lives WAY out there); and then heard the 6th and 7th innings once we were East enough to have a signal again.

The win all came down to one thing:
The magic that is Mariano Rivera.
Rivera had his first 6-out save since July of 2006 last night. Mo really saved us and still claims the title of Best Closer in my book.

And then there was A-Rod. The man who pulled our butts out of several sticky situations the entire series. (Mike loves A-Rod, and apparently, so does Kate Hudson, who was at the game last night.) I'm an A-Rod fan too, but he will never rise above Derek in my heart. Derek Jeter is the glue that holds my Yankees together. But, I'm starting worry, since this was his 15th season with the Yankees, that maybe we only have 15 or so more seasons left. (Maybe he'll pull a Bret Farve and never retire. I just hope he doesn't pull a Roger Clemens and say he's retiring and then goes and plays for the Houston Rockets, of all teams. He should hang his head for that. It's always all about money, isn't it? Whatever happened to playing for the love of the game?)

But I digress . . .

I'm extremely thrilled that we won it in 6 games; although I'm sure there are ad executives who aren't happy about that. At least we didn't get SWEPT like a certain team I know. That's right, SWEPT.

Suck on that Red Sox fans!

The World Series starts on Wednesday night against the (I can't believe I'm saying this) the World Champions, the Philadelphia Phillies. (I'm still in shock that they won the World Series last year. The Phillies?! Words like "How?" and "Why?" and "Quick Bob, get the kids and put them in the minivan because the world is obviously coming to an end!" escaped many peoples lips last year when they won. Including mine. The Phillies?!)

Come on, Boys! Let's win it in 4! (Or perhaps 5? I'll take 6 or even 7 games; just as long as we win!)

In other news:
The Utes beat the Air Force Falcons in overtime 23-16 on Saturday.
But who cares about that?!

Go YANKS!

(Okay, okay, to avoid being forced to sleep on the couch tonight, pictures and details of the Utes game will be posted in the very near future.)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Don't forget to mention how BYU got SLAUGHTERED in your Utah post:) That's just as important as our winning!

Ryan W said...

Quick Bob! To the Mormon Assault Vehicle!

Aim Aug said...

I like this idea of Mike rooting for a blue team! It gives me hope that he will come around....oh, a chill in the air....has hell frozen over? Love ya, Lis. Go Yanks!