Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Books

I love books. (Books and shoes are my two vices.)

Our front room is filled with my books (and that's not mentioning the bookcase filled upstairs).

Mike makes fun of me because instead of a purse, I carry a big bag (my current bag I purchased at the Josh Groban concert). He constantly asks me why I need to carry such a big bag around and my answer is always the same, "Because my books won't fit in a purse."

Mike told me yesterday that he wants to get me a Kindle for Christmas. He's actually said this since they came out, but I keep telling him how much I love actual books and I worry I wouldn't use it.

I can see the advantages of owing a digital bookstore. I have an ereader on my iphone and it is nice to not have to drag a book around sometimes. Plus, it means I would be able to carry 500 books at once!

But at the same time, I cry a little every time we go into Barnes & Noble and the bookshelves have been replaced with displays for the Nook. I feel bad for the books that aren't there anymore. Where did they go?! I know, I know, you can get them digitally, but it just isn't the same!

I love actual books. The smell of the pages, the feel of the story in your hand, being able to turn each page knowing there's so much more for these characters to go through before you get to the end.
So . . . I'm not sure. Do I want a Kindle or Nook?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ryan and I were talking about this last night. No joke. I don't read as much because I don't like carrying the books around therefore I don't read. I honestly think I would read so much more if I had something like the Kindle or Nook.
I WANT one!

Candee Robinson said...

I am so glad that you love actually reading a book in your hand and not on a handheld device. Keep that love of reading, but put a bunch of books on your iphone so you don't have to break your back carrying so many books around with you. I love you....

Candee Robinson said...

What thrills me is not your conundrum with how you will choose to read; but with how well you have expressed yourself.

Dad

Cooking with Christa said...

I feel your pain! Demond and I feel the same. We are however looking into the Nook because you can share books with other people and it's the only one with software that you can check out books from the library!